It’s become a Christmas tradition for my kids to make homemade gifts for close family members. I love getting my kids involved in the gift-giving process because it teaches them at a young age how to be generous, thoughtful givers.
If you have sappy, sentimental folks in your family, as I do, they will love a DIY gift for Christmas. This hand-print candy cane ornament is a fun, easy craft perfect for toddlers! It’s also a fun homeschool art activity!
Here’s a list of what you’ll need:
- Construction Paper
- Fine-tip Permanent Marker
- Glue Stick
- Washable Tempera Paint
- Foam Paintbrush
- Laminating Pouches
- Pipe Cleaner
- Hole Puncher
How to put it together:
1. With a paintbrush, paint red over the palm of your child’s hand
2. On a sheet of white construction paper, gently place the palm of the hand on it, making a hand-print
3. Once dry, take the fine tip permanent marker and outline the thumb and index finger in the shape of a candy cane
4. Use white and red paint to fill in each section like a candy cane
5. Once dry, cut out the outline of the hand and glue it to another piece of construction paper to make a frame.
6. On the back side of the hand, you can write their name and who it’s for as well as this cute little poem (optional):
When you hang this ornament
From year to year
I hope it brings you a smile
From ear to ear
This hand-print Candy-cane
Will help you remember,
How small I was in 2017
In the month of December
7. Place the hand on a laminating sheet and laminate it
8. Cut out the hand-print, leaving a small notch on top
9. Punch a hole in the notch
10. Loop a pipe cleaner through the hole as the hook and place a bead on it to secure it
And there you have it folks, an easy homemade gift from your cutie-patootie toddler! What homemade gifts are you making this year?
Hi, I’m Kimberly – a Jesus follower, redeemed by grace and fueled by chai tea lattes! I’m a wife, homeschool mom of 3 and online business owner/coach. I was born and bred in Southern California but I now enjoy true Southern living by way of East Tennessee. Homegrown Motherhood’s mission is to equip homeschool moms with Biblical truths and tips on balancing marriage, faith, homeschooling, homemaking, build an online business + balance it all with grace.